Quick Links

Our Church

Services

Sermons

Sermon Videos

Events

  • Where we are
  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle
  • YouTube - Black Circle

(905) 839-7909

882 Kingston Rd, Pickering, Ontario, L1V 1A8

©2019 by St. Paul's on-the-Hill Anglican Church.

Our History

The congregation of St. Paul’s On-the-Hill has been greatly blessed. We began at our present site on Hwy #2 in Pickering, Ontario in 1925. From a small one-room structure to our present building capable of accommodating 250+ people joined together in prayer and worship, St. Paul’s has been home to four generations of families in the Durham Region community. 

The Early Years
1925

November 8

As a mission of St. George’s, Pickering Village, the first Anglican service was held in the Dunbarton Community Hall (now Pineridge Hall), where the congregation worshipped together for the first nine years.

1933

February 22

Vestry meeting approved a change of name from 'Dunbarton Mission' to 'St. Paul's on-the-Hill, Dunbarton'.

1934

November 16

The Church of the Ascension, Toronto was dismantled, moved to Pickering and reassembled on the present site by Harry Newman and dedicated by Archbishop Derwyn Owen as St. Paul’s on-the-Hill.

Coming into Our Own
1959

February 15

As the first move towards independence from St. George’s, the men of the parish donated their time and labour and Harry Newman donated the materials for the construction of the Rectory.

1959

May 1

Rev. C.E. Olive was installed as the first Rector and St. Paul’s became an independent and self-supporting parish.

1976

November 16

Harry Newman deeded the church property to the Incumbent and churchwardens and St. Paul’s was consecrated by Archbishop Lewis Garnsworthy.

Growing in Faith
1983

September 18

Bishop Hunt dedicated the balcony and the newly remodeled interior of the Church.

1989

October 1

The “Forward In Faith” campaign obtained the necessary funds for expansion and the renovations began. The congregation moved out of the church into Vaughan Willard Public School for Sunday services during construction of the new wing.

1990

June 19

1990 June – Construction of the new Sunday School and the expanded church was completed.

 

 

Bishop Blackwell led the dedication services for the new expanded St. Paul’s On-the-Hill

November 10

A Light On a Hill
2000

June 20

Members of the St. Paul’s family came together at the Pickering Recreation Centre to celebrate St. Paul’s 75th anniversary. In attendance were Tom Newman and his family. Tom Newman was the son of Harry Newman and remained an active member of the congregation of St. Paul’s On-the-Hill until his passing.

2015

November 1

Members of the St. Paul's family came together again at the Pickering Recreation Centre to celebrate St. Paul's 90th anniversary.

Present Day

At SPOTH, we are continually growing and changing with different ministries and have a desire to spread the word of Jesus.

Come join us and learn how you can be a part of our continual history.